Sunday, March 9, 2008

Gender Roles

Photobucket



I have noticed that bubs is starting to have an awareness of 'boys' and 'girls' being different. I guess he has known they are different for a while, but now he is starting to have more of an understanding of what it means to be different. It's really interesting to see the development and I see where the importance of teachable moments arise. My sister does home jewelry parties and I had one in my house today. The other night, I was telling bubs about the party on Sunday and I was explaining to him that Aunt K would be coming and setting up her jewelry. He has been to some parties at my sister's house where she had all her stuff out and he was just mesmerized by all the sparkly shiny stuff. He loves to put my bracelets on. So he said 'I like jewelry' which of course I said I like too. Then he said 'I can't have jewelry because I am a boy'. He said 'jewelry is for girls, boys get strange sea creatures and dinosaurs and animals'. I of course said he could have jewelry if he wanted. It is my goal that my child be an evolved non-sexist/non-racist human and I am starting to see just how impressionable he has become. He said 'I am going to grow my hair long and curly and become a girl and then I can have jewelry'. I thought that was hilarious, given the fact that I have long curly hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your goals for raising your son are very good. There is jewelry for boys at some stores. Maybe you could get him a leather bracelet or something cool like that?

Casdok said...

Bless him!! Lol!