Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On Facebook...


I haven't been around much here lately. My site meter stats are sad. I was sucked into the vortex of total time waste that is facebook.

To be honest, about a month ago, I really didn't know what it was. I never caught on to the myspace craze either. I felt a little too 'long in the tooth' for that. One night I went out to dinner with some friends and they were talking about it, and a picture that one of my friends had posted of himself. I wanted to see the picture. So I signed up.

It was overwhelming at first. Also, seeing all the pictures of people I went to high school almost 25 years later was kind of frightening. It brought back lots of uncomfortable memories. I know it might be hard to believe, but I wasn't exactly popular. I also felt like I was coming down with early onset Alzheimer's due to the fact that I vaguely remembered half the people on there that I supposedly graduated with. The names were kind of familiar but the faces, no. It was strange.

Then I started a farm. I really don't need to start a farm. There are much better things I could be doing with my time. I get terribly caught up in things like that. I have a self imposed ban on all Sims games. I must not be allowed anywhere near a computer with that installed on it. You would not see me for a few days and I would emerge from a binge with a large red diamond spinning atop my head. Back in the day before any real responsibilities, I would come home from work and start playing that game, only to realize that I hadn't eaten dinner and it was now four in the morning and I would be getting ready for work in a couple of hours. I can't say I love that game, it really had some kind of sick power over me. I am veering off topic. I guess my point is that I have to watch myself with computer games.

It's all in the applications. Super Poke me, pass me a drink, throw me a snowball, help save the rain forest. How old am I again? Well, lol, roflmao, and all that other good stuff. Care to take a quiz? What, laundry? Later for that. Dinner? Have some cereal. I have to pick my virtual strawberries before they rot.

I think that I feel most depraved and voyeuristic when I am looking up other people's friends. Really bon, don't you have better things to do with your time? Isn't Dog the Bounty Hunter on? Sometimes though, you can find out some really interesting things. One of my facebook friends, has a friend on her page who, well, I can't really say what it is about her, other than she is not operating on the same system as I am. I have seen her 'in real life' dressed up in clothes that I have only seen in magazines, with makeup on that rivals boy george. So I took a peek into her world and dare I say I am really jealous of her assortment of friends. My proud little box of 27 friends pales in comparison to her pages and pages of semi famous faces. Some of them I didn't even know were people. I guess I always figured that Christian Loboutin (or however you spell his name) was just a figurehead for a bunch of shoe snobs who came up with the brilliant idea of red soles on really pricey pointy shoes. I didn't imagine he could possibly be a mere facebook account having mortal. There were more too, I think a few magazines, and Lindsey Lohan's girlfriend.

I could go on and on about this. Don't even get me started on the instant messaging feature. It's a little too stalkerish for me. There must be a way to not announce to your 27 friends that you are indeed wasting time on facebook. This prompts another time waster to contact you and waste even more time.

I don't know if I have any readers left. Probably after this post I won't for sure.

9 comments:

~B. said...

A-ha! So that's where you and five of my other bulletin-board friends have disappeared to.

I so don't get it...yet. But maybe someday? I think that I actually signed up a while ago, but never did anything from there. Hmmm....

Cara said...

I don't get facebook either. I don't get my space either. I'm not a fan of either of them, I'm only on my space b/c all my friends are.

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I guess Facebook is not what everyone finds fun. I love it. I don't find it takes up much of my time. I have it on my i phone and enjoy that. Joe and me communicate quite a bit through Facebook when he travels. I like catching up with friends. I don't like the constant invites to groups or the gardening, christmas gifts and pass a drink and all that crap. I just ignore and erase those.

Drama Mama said...

Ha! I'm still here.

But I, too, am tabbed over at FB right now, too...

Unknown said...

I didn't know what "Is this what you do all day" was all about. Duh, it's your blog. Sometimes motherhood makes me a bit dense. Anyway, I love your writing and I think its incredible that you open up that way about the days ins and outs of your life. I didn't know about PJ but I had many friends in NY with kids with similar issues. The great thing is that information is so accessable nowadays. I'm leaving a comment here b/c to be honest, I started to get a bit to hooked on Facebook and I'm going to lay off of that for awhile and maybe hang some xmas decorations instead. As always, Julie

Misty said...

I am the same way with the sims.. not sure why?? lol

Minyo said...

True story: I landed on your blog because I clicked on my bookmarks to go to facebook and my finger clicked too early. How ironic to find a post on facebook????

Is there some kind of group for Facebook addicts? I know there's a little group on the myFarm game for myFarm addicts :)

I could have written a post with very similar content, if only I could close facebook and open my blog.

Have fun farming! Have you bought the farm shack?

Anonymous said...

I just recently signed up for Facebook myself and can relate to what you said oh so well. LOL

Essential Amy said...

Minyo-You should see my farm. It's a masterpiece!
Hey at least I am not alone in my obsession!